Connecting with our patients is often the hardest part of our job as health providers.
Often the pathology is straightforward but we just can't seem to be able to communicate with the person in a way that elicits a positive change.
My mate Heather Watson reckons that to improve that connection we need to be more vulnerable. She joins us today to talk about how to build vulnerability into our practice, and our lives.
We talk through
- What vulnerability is in a Healthcare interaction
- What can happen when we practice with vulnerability
- The barriers that pop up if we aren't vulnerable
- Fear of being wrong
- Fear of blame
- Iterative process in health improvement
- Being creative and curious in practice
- Starting to understand yourself better
- Actually SEEING your patients and their challenges, not just their diagnosis